Professor of Chemical Engineering
Advanced Biohealth Materials
Our recent researches have been focused on developing novel functional soft materials by exploiting a cutting-edge technique, microfluidics, which is the science and technology of systems that process or manipulate small amounts of fluids ranging from 10-9 to 10-18 liters. Using drop-based microfluidic technology enables generation of new types of smart soft materials, including novel colloidal sensors, bioelectric sensors, and high-performance diagnostic devices.
We also develop a straightforward technique that can synthesize anisotropic colloidal particles. Having anisotropies in shape and chemistry, they self-assemble to form ordered supra-structures with well-defined configurations. Recently, we are intensively conducting researches on engineering new types of interface films using precisely synthesized anisotropic particles, including dumbbells, snowmen, and platelets, as colloidal surfactants and interfacial coacervates.
We are also truly interested in developing a robust means to fabricate smart nanobiofluids which contain nanospecies that not only induce phase transition in response to applied stimuli, but also change rheological properties of dispersion media. They include micelles, vesicles, nanodrops, nanocapsules, and nanofibers. Using them, we are exploring various biohealth technologies, such as mimicking cell membranes, artificial exosome fabrication, cancer cell targeting, and transdermal delivery.
1. Colloidal Pixels-Based Micropatterning Using Uniform Janus Microparticles with Tunable Anisotropic Particle Geometry, Advanced Functional Materials 29, 185392 (2019, selected as a front cover)
2. Environmental Stimuli-Irresponsive Long-Term Radical Scavenging of Two-Dimensional Transition Metal Dichalcogenides through Defect-Mediated Hydrogen Atom Transfer in Aqueous Media, Advanced Functional Materials 28, 1802737 (2018, selected as a back cover)
3. E-skin Tactile Sensor Matrix Pixelated by Position-Registered Conductive Microparticles Creating Pressure-Sensitive Selector, Advanced Functional Materials 28, 1801858 (2018, selected as an inside front cover)
4. Adjustable Intermolecular Interactions Allowing 2D Transition Metal Dichalcogenides with Prolonged Scavenging Activity for Reactive Oxygen Species, Small 14, 1800026 (2018)
5. Polyglycerolated Nanocarriers with Increased Ligand Multivalency for Enhanced In Vivo Therapeutic Efficacy of Paclitaxel, Biomaterials 145, 223-232 (2017)
6. Synthesis of Monodisperse Bi-Compartmentalized Amphiphilic Janus Microparticles for Tailored Assembly at the Oil-Water Interface, Angewandte Chemie International Edition 55 (14), 4509-4513 (2016)
7. Biologically Templated Photocatalytic Nanostructures for Sustained Light-driven Water Oxidation, Nature Nanotechnology 5 (5), 340-344 (2010)
8. Non-invasive Transdermal Delivery Route by Using Electrostatically Interactive Biocompatible Nanocapsules, Advanced Materials 22 (6), 739-743 (2010)
9. Colloid Surfactants for Emulsion Stabilization”, Advanced Materials 20 (17), 3239-3243 (2008)
10. Colloidal Assembly Route for Responsive Colloidosomes with Tunable Permeability, Nano Letters 7 (9), 2876-2880 (2007)
11. Fabrication of Monodisperse Gel Shells and Functional Microgels in Microfluidic Devices, Angewandte Chemie-International Edition 46 (11), 1819-1822 (2007)
12. Synthesis of Nonspherical Colloidal Particles with Anisotropic Properties, Journal of American Chemical Society 128 (44), 14374-14377 (2006)
– 하버드대학교 박사후연구원 (2005-2007)
– 아모레퍼시픽 기술연구원 수석연구원 (2000-2011)
– 한양대학교 화학분자공학과 교수 (2011-2019)