Professor of Chemical Engineering
Multi-Phase Flow and Powder Technology
HYDRODYNAMICS OF GAS-SOLID FLUIDIZED BEDS
Wide PSD powders are usually used for economic reasons when processing ores and minerals. In our laboratory, the flow regime transitions of wide PSD powders and the attrition characteristics were investigated to determine the proper operating conditions of FINEX process in the gas-solid fluidized beds used in processing natural ores and minerals.
FLOW REGIME TRANSITION IN SLURRY PHASE BUBBLE COLUMN FOR HYDROCRACKING PROCESS
In the heavy oil, cracking process, three phase (gas, liquid, and solid) materials were bubbling in the pressurized slurry phase bubble column. However, heavy oil has highly viscous properties so that gas holdup control in bubble columns is critical in reactor design and modelling. To predict the gas holdup at the flow regime transition, liquid surface tension and viscosity were varied, using aqueous ethanol and glycerol solutions
SYNTHESIS OF CARBON NANOTUBE IN FLUIDIZED BED REACTOR AND ITS APPLICATION
A carbon nanotube (CNT) consists of six carbon atoms conjugated in a sp2 hybrid. CNT is a promising material having various industrial applications due to its astonishing properties derived from its characteristic structure. In our laboratory, high purity CNTs are being synthesized from different carbon sources such as C2H2, C2H4, CH4, and LPG at various reaction conditions in a fluidized bed reactor. The future applications of the synthesized CNTs include their utilization as materials for conductive polymer composite and field emitter.
1. Jeong, S. W., J. M. Kim, D. H. Lee, “Effect of operating variables on synthesis of multi-walled carbon nanotubes in the fluidized beds,” CES, 134, 496-503 (2015).
2. Kim, S. W., B. S. Koo, and D. H. Lee, “A Comparative Study of Bio-oils from Pyrolysis of Microalgae and Oil Seed Waste in a Fluidized Bed,” Bioresource Technology, 162., 96-202 (2014).
3. Kim, D. Y., G. H. Rim, D. H. Lee, “Flow characteristics and axial bed composition according to mass ratio of binary solids in gas-solid circulating fluidized beds,” Powder Technology, 258, 344-351 (2014).
4. Rim, GuanHe, ChoHe Jeong, Norman Epstein, John R. Grace, Yoong Lee, Sang Done Kim, Jong Wook Bae and DongHyun Lee, “Prediction of Layer Inversion Velocity in Three-Phase Fluidized Beds,” CES, 100, 91-97(2013, Aug.).
5. Hong, Yoon Seok, Kyoung Soo Kang, Chu Sik Park, Sang Done Kim, Jong Wook Bae, Jae Wook Nam, Dong Hyun Lee, “Solid Mass Flux in a Chemical-looping Process for Hydrogen Production in a Multistage Circulating Moving Bed Reactor,” Int. J. of Hydrogen Energy, 38, 6052-6058 (2013, April).
충남대학교, Assistant Professor(1998-1999)
University of British Columbia, Post Doctoral fellow (1999-2000)