Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering
Energy Storage & Environmental Materials
Our mission is to resolve energy- & environment-related problems for the realization of sustainable development and emerging markets. The underpinning strategy is to control the multiscale structure and chemistry of various nanomaterials such as carbon nanotube, graphene and 2D nano sheet for applications into energy conversion and storage devices (e.g. lithium ion battery, supercapacitor and fuel cell) and environmental systems (e.g. capture of greenhouse gases and water treatment). Moreover, we are pursuing a fundamental understanding of physical and/or chemical phenomenon occurring in chemical and/ or electrochemical devices or systems on a nanoscale for the design of advanced energy materials and the development of functional devices. We have been actively collaborating with prestigious and specialized research groups at MIT, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Brookhaven National Laboratory, University of Wollongong, Tsinghua University, and Pohang Accelerator Laboratory.
•Corresponding author’ recent papers (2015~) related to the topic of energy storage
1. Puritut Nakhanivej, Xu Yu, Sul Ki Park, Soo Kim, Jin Yong Hong, Hae Jin Kim, Wonki Lee, Jun Yeon Hwang, Ji Eun Yang, Chris Wolverton, Jing Kong, Manish Chhowalla, Ho Seok Park*, “Revealing Molecular-Level Surface Redox Sites of Controllably Oxidized Black Phosphorus Nanosheets”, Nat. Mater., 2018, online published.
2. Girish Sambhaji Gund, Jeong Hee Park, Rana Harpalsinh, Manikantan Kota, Joo Hwan Shin, Tae-il Kim, Yury Gogotsi*, Ho Seok Park*, “MXene/Polymer Hybrid Materials for Flexible AC Filtering Electrochemical Capacitors”, Joule, 2018, online published.
3. Sol Yun, Seong-Min Bak, Sanghyeon Kim, Jeong Seok Yeon, Min Gyu Kim, Xiao-Qing Yang, Paul V. Braun*, Ho Seok Park*, “Rational Design of Hierarchically Open-Porous Spherical Hybrid Architectures for Lithium Ion Batteries”, Adv. Energy Mater., 2018, accepted.
4. Harpalsinh H. Rana, Jeong Hee Park, Etienne Ducrot, Hun Parkc, Manikantan Kota, Tae Hee Han, Jun Young Lee, Jaeyun Kim, Ji-Heung Kim, Patrick Howlett, Maria Forsyth, Douglas MacFarlane, Ho Seok Park*, “Extreme properties of double networked ionogel electrolytes for flexible and durable energy storage devices”, Energy Storage Mater., 2018, online published.
5. Xu Yu, Sol Yun, Jeong Seok Yeon, Pallab Bhattacharya, Libin Wang, Seung Woo Lee, Xianluo Hu, Ho Seok Park*, “Emergent Pseudocapacitance of 2D Nanomaterials”, Adv. Energy Mater., 2018, 1702930.
6. Sul Ki Park, Sung Hyun Kwon, Seung Geol Lee, Min Sung Choi, Dong Hoon Suh, Puritut Nakhanivej, Hyunjoo Lee, Ho Seok Park*, “105 Cyclable Pseudocapacitive Na-Ion Storage of Hierarchically Structured Phosphorus-Incorporating Nanoporous Carbons in Organic Electrolytes”, ACS Energy Lett., 2018, 3, 724-732.
7. Sol Yun, So Hyun Park, Jeong Seok Yeon, Jae Min Park, Milan Jana, Jungdon Suk, Ho Seok Park*, “Materials and Device constructions for Aqueous Lithium-Sulfur Batteries”, Adv. Funct. Mater., 2018, 1707593.
8. Pallab Bhattacharya, Dong Hoon Suh, Puritut Nakhanivej, Yingbo Kang, Ho Seok Park*, “Iron Oxide Nanoparticle-Encapsulated CNT Branches Grown on 3D Ozonated CNT Internetworks for Lithium-Ion Battery Anodes”, Adv. Funct. Mater., 2018, 1801746.
9. Sul Ki Park, Hyunjoo Lee, Min Sung Choi, Dong Hoon Suh, Puritut Nakhanivej, Ho Seok Park*, “Straightforward and controllable synthesis of heteroatom-doped carbon dots and nanoporous carbons for surface-confined energy and chemical storage”, Energy Storage Mater., 2018, 12, 331-340.
10. Pallab Bhattacharya, Manikantan Kota, Dong Hoon Suh, Kwang Chul Roh, Ho Seok Park*, “Biomimetic Spider-Web-Like Composites for Enhanced Rate Capability and Cycle Life of Lithium Ion Battery Anodes”, Adv. Energy Mater., 2017, 7, 1700331.
11. Jin–Yong Hong, Wook Kim, Dukhyun Choi, Jing Kong*, Ho Seok Park*, “Omnidirectionally Stretchable and Transparent Graphene Electrodes” ACS Nano, 2016, 10, 9446–9455.
12. Sung-Kon Kim, Jiung Cho, Jeffrey S. Moore, Ho Seok Park*, Paul V. Braun*, “High-Performance Mesostructured Organic Hybrid Pseudocapacitor Electrodes” Adv. Funct. Mater., 2016, 26, 903-910.
13. Qasim Mahmood, Sul Ki Park, Kideok D. Kwon, Sung&pe_Qc;Jin Chang, Jin&pe_Qc;Yong Hong, Guozhen Shen, Young Mee Jung, Tae Jung Park, Sung Woon Khang, Woo Sik Kim, Jing Kong, Ho Seok Park*, “Transition from Diffusion-Controlled Intercalation into Extrinsically Pseudocapacitive Charge Storage of MoS2 by Nanoscale Heterostructuring” Adv. Energy Mater., 2016, 6, 1501115.
14. Byung Chul Kim, Jin-Yong Hong, Gordon G. Wallace, Ho Seok Park*, “Recent Progress in Flexible Electrochemical Capacitors: Electrode Materials, Device Configuration, and Functions”, Adv. Energy Mater., 2015, 5, 1500959.
15. Sung-Kon Kim, Paul V. Braun, Ho Seok Park*, “Extremely Durable, Flexible Supercapacitors with Greatly Improved Performance at High Temperatures” ACS Nano, 2015, 9, 8569-8577.
16. Qasim Mahmood, Min Gyu Kim, Sol Yun, Seongmin Bak, Xiao-Qing Yang, Hyeon Suk Shin, Woo Sik Kim, Paul V. Braun, Ho Seok Park*, “Unveiling Surface Redox Charge Storage in Two-Dimensional Hetero-nanosheets Assembled Hierarchical Architectures” Nano. Lett., 2015, 15, 2269-2277.
17. Xu Yu, Hae Jin Kim, Jin Yong Hong, Young Mee Jung, Kideok D. Kwon, Jing Kong, Ho Seok Park*, “Elucidating Surface Redox Charge Storage of Phosphorus-Incorporated Graphenes with Hierarchical Architectures” Nano Energy, 2015, 15, 576-586.
18. Jin-Yong Hong, Bo Mee Bak, Jeong Jae Wie, Jing Kong*, Ho Seok Park*, “Reversibly compressible, highly elastic, and durable graphene aerogels for energy storage devices under limited conditions” Adv. Funct. Mater., 2015, 25, 1053-1062.
• 한국과학기술연구원 박사후연구원 (2008.06. – 2008.11.)
• MIT 박사후연구원 (2008.12 – 2010.02.)
• 경희대학교 화학공학부 조교수 (2010.03. – 2014.08.)
• 성균관대학교 화학공학부 조교수 (2014.09. – 2016.02.)
• 성균관대학교 화학공학부 부교수 (2016.03. – 현재)
• 성균관대학교 삼성융합의과학원(SAIHST) 겸임교수 (2016.09. – 현재)
• 성균관대학교 SAINT 겸임교수 (2018.03. – 현재)
• “Batteries & Supercaps” (Wiley) 편집위원 (2018.03. – 현재)