Professor of Chemical Engineering
Advanced Molecular Probing
Tip-Enhanced Raman Scattering (TERS)
TERS was named and first reported by Prof. Suh and coworkers in Jan. 2000, now cited up to ~1,500 times. For the last two decades, TERS has been developed to provide Single Molecule Detection (SMD) sensitivity and sub-angstrom level Raman imaging at cryogenic temperature in UHV condition. We are now developing SMD by TERS operating in ambient condition to expand its applicability.
Nanogap-Enhanced Raman Scattering (NERS)
Prof. Suh’s research group has pioneered NERS with SMD sensitivity, another new research area of Nano Raman. Our two pioneering reports of NERS in Nature Materials (2010) and Nature Nanotech (2011) have already been cited for the past decade up to ~1,050 and ~900, respectively. We are now making efforts to apply NERS for in vitro diagnosis (IVD).
UpConverting Nano Particle (UCNP)
The first single-particle UCNP spectroscopic imaging experiments were independently reported by Prof. Suh’s group and by Prof. P. J. Schuck’s group in 2009. Since then Prof. Suh’s group have been applying UCNP to single-particle-tracking live-cell imaging, small animal imaging, and super-resolution nanoscopy. Recently, Prof. Suh, together with Prof. Schuck, has created the first UCNP Gordon Research Conference(GRC), which will be held in June 2021 at New Hampshire, U.S.A.
1. Giant nonlinear optical responses from photon avalanching nanoparticles (Nature, in press, Jan. 14th 2021)
2. Future and Challenges for Hybrid Upconversion Nanosystems (Nature Photonics, 13/828, 2019)
3. Recent Advances in Upconversion Nanocrystals: Expanding the Kaleidoscopic Toolbox for Emerging Applications (Nano Today, 29/100797, 2019)
4. Enrichment of Molecular Antenna Triplets Amplifies Upconverting Nanoparticle Emission (Nature Photonics, 12/402, 2018)
5. Plasmonic Nanogap-Enhanced Raman Scattering with Nanoparticles, Accounts of Chemical Research, 49/2746 (2016), cited > 180 times
6. Upconverting Nanoparticles: a Versatile Platform for Wide-Field Two-photon Microscopy and Multi-modal In Vivo Imaging (Chemical Society Reviews, 44/1302, 2015), cited > 420 times
7. Quantitative Plasmon Mode and Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering Analyses of Strongly Coupled Plasmonic Nanotrimers with Diverse Geometries (Nano Letters, 15/4628, 2015)
8. Thiolated DNA-Based Chemistry and Control in the Structure and Optical Properties of Plasmonic Nanoparticles with Ultrasmall Interior Nanogap (Journal of the American Chemical Society, 136/14052, 2014)
9. Single-Molecule and Single-Particle-Based Correlation Studies between Localized Surface Plasmons of Dimeric Nanostructures with ~ 1 nm Gap and Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering (Nano Letters, 13/6113, 2013)
10. Theranostic Probe Based on Lanthanide- Doped Nanoparticles for Simultaneous In Vivo Dual-Modal Imaging and Photodynamic Therapy (Advanced Materials, 24/5755, 2012), cited > 360 times
11. Highly Uniform and Reproducible Surface-Enhanced Raman Scattering from DNA-Tailorable Nanoparticles with 1-nm Interior Gap (Nature Nanotechnology, 6/452, 2011), cited > 890 times
12. Long-Term Real-Time Tracking of Lanthanide Ion Doped Upconverting Nanoparticles in Living Cells (Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 50/6093, 2011), cited > 220 times.
13. Nanogap-Engineerable Raman-Active Nano-Dumbbells for Single Molecule Detection (Nature Materials, 60/90, 2010), cited > 1,030 times.
14. Non-Blinking and Non-Bleaching Upconverting Nanoparticles as Optical Imaging Nanoprobe and T1 MRI Contrast Agent (Advanced Materials, 21/4467, 2009), cited > 570 times.
Korea Research Inst. of Chem. Tech.(KRICT), Director (2003-Present)
Pacific NW National Lab.(PNNL), LTE Staff (2001-2002)
POSTECH, Research Professor (2000-2001)
Swiss Fed. Inst. of Tech. (ETH Zurich), PostDoc (1999-2000)